Skip to main content

Organized Card Giver Post #4 Technology Hack For Keeping Addresses And Birthdays Organized

Hey everyone, 

Last post I mentioned keeping a google document for birthdays. Were you thinking.....I'm sending handmade cards to avoid technology and how impersonal it feels! So, why is this woman, asking me to use technology for birthdays?! 



I ask myself everyday, what the balance is between technology and personal. I like to use personal handmade gifts and cards or spend quality time with family and friends. But, I like to use technology almost like a personal assistant. If you are related to me, you know I would not even know what to buy at the grocery store if it weren't for my amazon Alexa. 

I tend to forget things. Do you ?  I will at times have momentary lapse and forget even the names of my colleagues and then I end up with an awkward..." hey you!! " Very similarly...I forget birthdays, not because I don't care, but because I just can only keep so many things in my head. This is where I like to use technology. 

One of the reasons to keep a digital copy/excel format of addresses and birthdays is that you can easily "carry" it with you. I have a google sheets app downloaded on my phone and on the computer, which means if I want to edit the document on the go, I can. If I want to edit the same document while at home, I can. And, I do this without multiple copies of everything. I got sick of emailing myself back and forth from different emails. 

My recommendation is to set up  your excel file as I've shown below. Keep a different column for Name, Addresses, Birthdays, Email, Relationship ( this is important if you want to mix business with personal) 



Once you enter the information in, click the first row, click Data Tab and Hit the filter button. You can sort the Birthday column A-> Z by right clicking. This will sort all the birthdays in chronological order from January to December. ** Do not add birth years in, because that will mess up the sorting. Just the month and the day**

Once you have this, you will be easily able to identify which birthdays are coming up, without going through your address book and cross -referencing the birthday book. You can also use the typed up addresses and transfer them easily to the Labels if you decide to print your labels. 

If you need help with this email me at paperbirchdesigns@gmail.com. I'm an excel nut and if I can help you, I will. 

So, try it out! Set up an awesome excel spreadsheet and enable yourself to not forget, and to save time digging through and finding out what birthdays are coming up. 

Have a great new year! 2018 is just around the corner! 
Archie Andrews


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bugs and Kisses Birthday Party theme!

Today, I went to a fun birthday party of a 7 year old boy who loves bugs. He's a very sweet kid and I wanted to help make his birthday special. So, I made him bug themed party decor.  I made little favor bags using the Bag punch board filled them with plastic bugs ( yes, I'm not even coming close to touching a real one. I had my husband make sure there weren't even fake lizards in there). I also added hershey kisses in the bag mixed in. I made him a bug themed birthday banner and  a cake topper as well. This,by the way, is my favorite pic I've ever taken using my phone. I just love the blue of the door popping out.  Once the bag was punched out using bag punch, I used the Bugs and Beetles retired stampset, which I borrowed from my sweet upline, Holly Stene. (Holly, thanks a lot for letting me borrow this stampset). Then I used the different color combos to make the bugs pop right out of the bag.  There were some fun gummy worms and f

Organized Card Giver Goal

You are driving home from grocery store or work, you stop by the mailbox and open it. You try to pry every single piece of mail from in there. You quickly try to scan the mail you got…and it’s mostly bills, advertisements, random credit card approval applications. Because…that’s ever worked!! You sigh, because its normal, routine and boring!! Then you realize you see a teeny tiny envelope, with a handwritten label. Not the fake cursive kind that some organization uses to ask for money, but the real kind! You open it, and it’s a greeting card. Handwritten greeting card that says Happy Birthday or Just thinking of you, and it put a huge smile to your face. I love that feeling, and guess what? I want all my loved ones to feel that feeling. Even better, I want to be the one to put that smile on their faces. I never truly understood the importance of getting cards in the mail until my husband Ray went to the hospital. He had surgery and was in the hospital recovering for almost 2 m

Sunday Funday Puzzle...How many can you get?

Hello everyone, I'm announcing my first Sunday Funday Puzzle time. I love crossword puzzles and picture puzzles. I have created this fun picture puzzle with help from my friend Drew Lyon who does weekly Rebus style puzzles at work and they are so much fun. Here's what you need to do to figure this out. Scroll down to the bottom of the page at http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/archieandrews/  and open the catalog. Look through each image and try to figure out which product in the stampin up catalog is described in these pictures. How many can you get? Entries to be submitted by Friday at midnight (EST) I will announce the winner next Sunday and the winner gets a FREE paper pumpkin kit from me!! ( That's a 20$....right there) If you like anything from the catalog and want to purchase it, use the Shop Now link to place your orders. All orders over $25 will receive a free gift item from me. Happy Hunting!! SUBMITTING ENTRIES RULES: 1. 1 Entr